July 29th – Tuesday
We woke
up feeling much better! The day got off to a lazy start. We eventually went to
morning devotions, I have to say this was one of the longest and it was my
fault. I had decided to teach on spiritual gifts and I had a good half hour
worth of stuff to share. Well add in the translator and the side conversations
and I think we were at about two hours. This included a couple songs and
everyone sharing a verse. It was pretty much lunch time when we finished up
devotions.
After
lunch we started our rounds of normal heat avoiding activities. But there
wasn’t anything good on TV that anyone wanted to watch and we didn’t feel like
spending more time in our room. I went and sat under the tree with one group as
they drank coke, burped and sang What Does the Fox Say. After a while I went
and joined Arielle and her group which was sitting under a different tree
discussing different Spanish words. The best we can figure the words mean to
choke someone or to punch them. We discovered yesterday that some of the
Spanish we are learning is slang and not in the dictionary.
As this
conversation progressed one thing led to another and the result was me up the
tree with one of the girl’s flower burette (it used to be mine). And a couple of girls at the bottom of the tree with Arielle’s bobby pin. After about
a half hour of negotiating we worked out the trade that Arielle and I had been
brokering from the beginning. Ie they give back one of our precious few blonde
bobbies and we would return the flower burette. After all this was sorted out
they invited us over to their house and then kept telling us to nap. We were a
little wary that we were going to lose our carefully guarded bobbies so we
left. But as we were leaving some of the girls met us out front and ask if we
wanted to go to the store, so we walked to the store.
Later
we were again sitting under the tree, a lot happens under the trees when it’s
over a 100%, and I was trying to rebraid Arielle’s hair when someone tried to
once again take the blonde bobbies. This led to them trying to tickle us which
led to me wrestling with two of them while someone else fixed Arielle’s hair.
The girls in question then tried to tell the older girls I was beating them up
but no one bought it for a second since there was lots of witnesses that they
kept jumping on me. It seems the girls were determined for us to use the new
vocabulary they taught us.
We then
sought safer company with the young ladies and the ladies in the craft room. We
all had a great time and many laughs. Although a lot of the time, for Arielle
and I, it feels like that awkward laughter when everyone else gets the punch
line of a joke you just don’t get. But some of it was Lilia was trying out two
Japanese phrases that Arielle taught her.
It
started to rain so everyone came alive and we had a game of volleyball followed
by dinner. While all the older people were playing Volleyball Arielle and the little children got into a mud fight. Later that evening we had some evening prayer, Arielle and I almost
missed it again but we caught it this time!
2 comments:
Coke and What Does the Fox Say sounds like a great combo!
I thought you would approve and Molly would have choice words ;-)
Post a Comment