Wednesday, July 23, 2014

It was a hot one!



July 22nd – Tuesday
                Arielle spent the day in the room; she didn’t want to contaminate others. It was also good for her to get some more rest.
                On another happy note, today was Arturo birthday!
                When I first left the room this morning Martin decided to let me ride his bike. This was fun since I knew how to use it, although it was a little on the small side. The front brakes however did not work at all, so we went to tighten them. Now I have done this before and am actually fairly handy with tools. But Martin did not know this and he was slightly panicking but he eventually saw that I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately his front brake pads have been completely worn down, so we were able to get it so they at least touch but they won’t stop the bike. But his back brakes still our functional.
This morning we had a family meeting to take care of some business. This was followed by devotions. When all was said and done it was a lot later than Lilia and I relieved, so we started on making lunch. Lilia made refried beans and I chopped up lettuce and tomatoes. We had the flat kind of tacos, it was a nice lunch. I enjoyed eating with Lilia and talking a little about how things are run in Mexico and some of the children’s stories.
                Today was really hot so most of the afternoon was spent, in the tv room, under a tree, in the chapel or in my room. There wasn’t a lot going on everyone was hunkered down to survive the heat. Eventually SickLayLee came into our room and we used google translator to have a conversation. I learned what dress she was wearing to the quince. She seemed slightly concerned about Arielle’s and my attire, but eventually decided that it would have to do. We also discussed where she had lived before and her siblings. It was nice to be able to communicate, even if it was a rather broken form of communication. If you have never tried having a conversation through google translator you should try.
                I read a little bit of The Magicians Nephew while the children watched High School Musical. Then a little into the movie everyone seemed to wake up, the sun was going down. I played a little bit of futball with the children then went and watched/helped with some wall decorations for the quince. They look amazing! We had some really good laughs while they made these.
                I went and did some foot races with the children out in the street. Some of the older children are really fast! This was fun, but there was a speed bump right where we started the race and it was rather bothersome. Arielle says “Imagine that a speed bump made it hard to speed up!” I then dragged Arielle out of the room for a little fresh air.
                We went back to where the ladies were and they were handing out dresses for the girls to wear at the quince. Most of the dresses were more on the formal side of life. This process brought up the question of what Arielle and I were going to wear, twice in one day. We told them the nicest we had was what we had been wearing on Sunday. At first they seemed slightly appalled and then decided it would have to do. Mom has mailed Arielle’s bridesmaid dress from Bre’s wedding so if it gets here in time she will wear that. I think I will be okay I do have a nicer skirt and blouses.
                We all headed inside for dinner and had some yummy soup. They pulled two bowls aside that didn’t have meat for Arielle and I. They have been so helpful with Arielle not feeling well. They have made sure she has fruit, medicine and food. They also made her a Limeaide of sorts that is suppose to really help. Arielle started feeling poorly again during dinner so she headed back to the room, she spent maybe an hour out and about.

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Who would have thought you'd need a formal over the summer.

Krista said...

I know! The funny thing is when I was packing I looked at a couple of my nicer dresses and then said, "Why in the world would a need that nice of a dress at a rural orphanage in Mexico!'

Kent Bradley said...

I never needed a dress when I was in Mexico ;)

Krista said...

What Kent! How ever did you last 10 weeks in Mexico and not wear a dress! I mean we've only been here three and we need formals.