July 20th – Sunday
The day
started with Arielle waking up not feeling well, this wasn’t a surprise since
she hadn’t been feeling well when she went to bed. We decided that she would just
stay in the room all day and rest. Arturo and Lilia were so sweet and got her
fruit and medicine. She is feeling a lot better today (Monday) although still
not 100%.
Arielle
and I had decided a couple days ago to do kites with the children at Sunday school.
I used the new found information from Wednesday night, give each child their
own supplies so there is no sharing, to set up for children’s church. After
worship we all headed back and the children made their kites. I think it went
over fairly well. They don’t fly well, I knew they wouldn’t, but they kept the
children busy for about a half hour. We then had banana for snack and went
outside and played at the park. One of the girls from the orphanage was a huge
help! I would communicate what I wanted to her, via my broken Spanish and sign
language, she would then tell all the children and get them to do it. She is
also a natural with children, she was a huge blessing.
After
church let out everyone stuck around and we had soup tortillas. It was a yummy
soup, I added salsa to mine without first trying it and it was almost too spicy
but that’s how I like it so all was well. After clean up I went and checked on
Arielle and took a nap.
I went
and sat under the tree with some of the youth for a while, it was really hot
today. Then I went and watched some of the ladies working on quince center
pieces. The ladies are really talented! The bouquet they made is gorgeous, I
might have to have them make mine whenever I get around to getting married.
At this
time I was told that they weren’t able to find a birthday cake for Christopher,
today was his birthday! So they were going to go to Magdalena to look. I was
invited to go along so I ran and told Arielle where I was going, although I wasn’t
really sure what Magdalena was myself, and grabbed some pesos. Well I
discovered that Magdalena is a town about 17 K further south than we are. We
went to their town plaza area and there was a bazaar of sorts. But first we
went across a suspension bridge, the bridge was over a dry river that a bunch
of trucks were driving up and down. The children all decided to show their acrobatic
prowess in climbing under and across the bridge. I did not attempt as a fall
most likely would have killed you and it wasn’t worth it to me.
We then
went and looked around the bazaar area. I quickly noticed that almost all of
the shops had mostly catholic relics. This led to the discovery that the plaza
was actually the sight of an old cathedral and a new one that they built to
replace the old one when destroyed in the rebellion. I was rather proud of
myself to have interpreted the signs. There was one little building we entered
that had a domed structure inside with windows in it. Everyone was looking into
the window so I also looked and was surprised to see a skeleton.
We also
walked through a museum/cathedral of
types. When we first entered there was a body thing laying on an altar or sorts
in the middle of the room. Having just seen the skeletpn I was a little leery at
first, but then I could tell it was just a statue. But a lot of people were
lining up to touch and pray at the statue. There was also another statue of the
same guy that people had covered in prayer ribbons. It made me rather sad to
think of all those people who don’t know they can have apersonal relationship
with God. They don’t need to go through saints.
We then
went to a corner store and the gentleman we were with bought the children some
Taki’s. I also bought some Taki’s and some of the nut things from the day
before only not covered in Chili, I was curious what they tasted like without
the Chili. We then stopped at a little ice cream shop and the children who hadn’t
gotten Takis got a scoop of ice cream. I purchased a ice cream bar and the
suggestion of one of the girls and then shared it with everyone, it was good.
We then hung out for a little bit and drove to a larger grocery store and found
the cake and ice cream! Arielle has complained that we got a lot of ice cream
the day she was sick.
This
was a fun outing. I thought it was amusing when people would come up to me to
try and sell me stuff and I would tell them I didn’t speak Spanish. They would
then turn to the children and try and get them to interpret but the children
would then tell them they didn’t speak English. Their faces were rather incredulous.
We came
home and celebrated Christophers birthday then I went to bed J
5 comments:
Fun times! Hope Arielle gets back to 100% pronto!
Many Catholics have a personal relationship but still 'go through' saints... much in the same way that folks ask their living friends to pray for them. We are asking the saints (who are with God in His heavenly kingdom) to pray for us.
What's up with Arielle? Tried to skype but you didn't pick up. LOL
Renee, I'm sorry that was to broad of a stroke to have painted. I have personally known many Catholics with a personal relationship with God whom I look forward to spending eternity with. I have also known many who do not, and it is just rituals. But the other side of the same coin is I have known many protestants where this is also the case. This particular place I was at had a rather heavy atmosphere, which is why I jumped to the conclusion that it was more about the rituals for this specific group of people. I have been to many cathedrals and love them I find them very sacred and I enjoy sitting and praying in them, but that was not the case at this location. So once again I am sorry i should have been more specific.
Praying for arielle: )
Bre D
Post a Comment