June 30th – Monday
I
started the day with a little later start than I had been planning due to some
complications but I still was on the road at a decent hour (6:30am). The drive
to Oliehurst was uneventful and I made it around 1:30 pm. I spent some time
with the family and finished a few last details for Arielle. While we were
eating dinner the topic of passport expirations came up, and there had been a
slight mix up (minors expire every 5 years) and Arielle’s passport will expire
while we are in Mexico. We started frantically searching the internet and
contacting Joy to see what if any options were available. Eventually we learned
that if the minor is traveling by land in an organized group with adults then
they just need a birth certificate and ID to get back into America. After that
round of fun we all headed to bed. Arielle’s and I had planned on driving
straight to Rio Rico, 15 hours, the next day. But we knew we were going to have
to wait in the morning for a call from Joy who was contacting the border to
confirm all that was found. With all of this in consideration we decided to
split the trip into two days, just make sure we were in Rio Rico no later than
10 am on Wednesday.
July 1st – Tuesday
We
waited on pins and needles for the call, if the border had said no then we
would have had to leave Arielle, In America, or figured out a way to get her
picked up early. The call came and the border said that she was fine traveling
with her birth certificate and ID they also said they would let her back with
the expired passport. So with all that sorted out we jumped in our already
stuffed car and headed out around 9 am. There is not a lot to say about the
trip, it was a lot of desert, angry water related billboards and semi trucks.
On a down note USA lost and are out of the World Cup but they at least made it
to the group of 16. We decided to call it a night a little after 8 with just
under 4 hours of driving left. Then began the hunt for a place to sleep. We
eventually found a town, Tonopuh, in Arizona that had a clean Hotel.
July 2nd – Wednesday
We were
up bright and early and on the road by 6 am. The travel was fairly uneventful.
When we were within a couple mile of our stopping point, had just pulled off
the interstate and were starting the neighborhood search, the GPS just shut
off. I had mapquest directions but they were to the other peoples house. We
were about to call Joy when Del, her husband drove by and guessed it was was,
two girls in a car with OR plates, he let us follow him home. At long last the
three Gerkins were all in one location! Joy was working on preparing a lunch to
take with them to the women’s prison. We jumped in and in no time the lunch was
ready to go. We then transferred the 8 garbage bags, 3 boxes and 4 balls that
people had donated to the orphanage into their van, oh we also transferred our
clothes, water and food. Then we were off to the border, the crossing was
uneventful, we went with them all to the women’s prison and helped out with the
ministry there. We had a great time eating with and then sharing some of our
story with the ladies. The ladies then all shared their stories and some of
their heart and it was very touching to hear what God has been doing in all
their lives. Be praying for all these dear sisters in Christ who are in the
middle of the justice system here. Once we had finished at the prison, Del and
Joy drove us all to the orphanage.
Lilia
and her husband run the Emuris Kid’s Kingdom, there are currently 25 children
here mostly teenage girls. They seem like a very nice couple and I look forward
to getting to know them better. They have provided us with one of the dorm
rooms. It is spacious and nice. After we unpacked everything and discussed a
few details, us Americano did our best to play games. It was always funa dn
enjoyable but also slightly confusing. We never were sure what was happening
when we started a game, they would all just have a conversation and then split
us up and point at where they wanted us. But we always figured it out! First we
were all taking turns shooting on the goal, then we switched to kickball and
lastly we played a small futball scrimmage. After the kickball the girls all
decided to set to on fixing Arielle’s hair, they worked on it for at least a
half hour. When they finished she had a lovely mixture of cornrows and braids.
It was
now a little after 6 pm and we had Wednesday night service at 7 so we all
decided to go put our room in order and freshen up a little bit for the
service. The service seemed really good, it was all in Spanish so I’m not sure what
was being said, but it was great to be able to worship with brothers and
sisters in Christ in another place. There is something special about being able
to see the love that others have for Christ. When the sermon started they asked
us Americanos to take the little ones outside. We had a great time playing with
the children. Although from the American perspective it was slightly scary
because we never were sure how many children we were suppose to have and
communication was a challenge. But we al, children included,l had an amazing
time. At one point the children were using the monkey bars while sitting on our
shoulders it was hilarious how tangled up we all could get! Eventually service
ended and we all had some rice pudding and lemon bread and headed for bed.
On a
funny note when I went to use the restroom the faucet is a PVC concoction. Well
I got it turned on just fine but it didn’t seem to matter how many times or
ways I turned the switch I could not get it to stop. One of the girls came in
and I tried asking how to turn it off and showing that I couldn’t. I tried
using my hand to stop the water I tried staring it into submission but it was
not working. Eventually she showed me that you have to push down on the PVC
faucet and have the knob just right and it will turn off.
4 comments:
Glad you all made it safely! An "uneventful" border crossing seems like the best kind :)
PTL for HIS working! PTL for the enjoyment and fun you are having! Mostly PTL for the different worship you are experiencing and etc.
l/p 2G's t
Yes I was all for uneventful, especially with how eventful it was getting to the border.
An uneventful road trip with Krista?? I dont believe it ;-) I'm really glad that you guys are safe though!!
Post a Comment