Thursday, July 10, 2014

Our First Sunday



July 6th – Sunday
                We thought that today was going to be more of a chill type day when all the neighborhood children come over and we do games and crafts. We thought it odd that there wasn’t church, but from our understanding that is what was going to happen. Well when we got up there was a lot of commotion and everyone putting on their Sunday best. We quickly learned there was a service, they offered to let Jamin preach. The girls asked if we would straighten their hair for them so Arielle and I set to with the straighter. We were surprised when Del and Joy walked in, they had decided to check in on us and see how everything was going. It was really nice to see them. We worked on hair well a few minutes after service started and then quickly slipped in the back.
                The service was nice, we really couldn’t understand much of what was being said. But it was still a great service. I enjoyed watching them worship, and worshiping as well. The sermon seemed to be on the power of forgiveness and the Lord’s power and moving from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of the light. At least I think that is what it was on.
                Afterwards we played with the children for a little bit and had some lunch. We then cleaned up lunch and laid down for a Sunday nap. But it wasn’t to be, pretty soon there was a persistent knock on the door and the young ladies wanted their feet done. We went and did feet outside which was nice. They did my feet while I did theirs. They really seem to have a problem with my tattoo they kept trying to rub it off, at one point they had so much lotion on it you couldn’t see the tattoo. Well if you do feet it follows that you most do hair. So we all went back to the room and I worked on doing hair. But I was quickly running out of styles when Arielle showed up and saved the day.
                While Arielle and I were working on hair Humana was grabbing things from around the room and stashing them in the closet that’s in the corner of our room. She had a bunch of her undies, my wallet, water bottles, our clothes etc. This wasn’t a big deal as long as the stuff wasn’t leaving the room I didn’t really care, I did take my cash from her. Well all of a sudden two of the girls yelp and run out of the room holding their faces. Within second my throat starts itching and I start coughing. I then remembered that I also had my pepper spray in my purse that Humana was digging through. I quickly went over and checked, and yes my pepper spray was in the closet and had been used. I then rushed to the bathroom, taking the spray with me, and the girls were rinsing their eyes and slightly panicking. I then went on a search for Lilia to interpret what it was that they had sprayed in their eyes. After some discussion the girls knew they would be fine and everyone had a good laugh over it. Apparently Humana had the spray in the closet and when the girls went to check on her she had sprayed it.
                Arielle and I then went and watched a little tv with Lilia and a few of the young ladies. We watched the end of Brother Bear and it was really funny to me seeing the North American wildlife and Aluetian Indians speaking Spanish. The moose really cracked me up.
                A day cant be complete without some type of game so we played some monkey in the middle and catch. We all then piled into the truck and Artura took to the plaza it was nice to see some more of the town and of the local culture. We then played keep it up with the volleyball at the plaza and then passed the basketball around.

3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Humana seems to be a real character!

Kent Bradley said...

She thought she was getting lipstick...LOL! Bummer about the "non-nap."

Krista said...

Yes Humana is a never ending source of excitement ;-) well that and her undies she is always out washing them and then leaving them all over the compound it's like a where Waldo.

Lol luckily it wasn't the lipstick, we didn't bring those across the border. I though if anyone could sympathies with the non-nap it would be you :-)