July 12th – Saturday
I’m going to apologize now for the lengthiness of this post…
But it will have lots of pictures!
Well
today was Saturday so we had breakfast! Hot dogs, eggs and tortilla with salsa,
if your not vegan it is actually pretty good. After breakfast clean up, I came
into the room to finish posting yesterdays blog. While I was finishing up some
of the girls came in and we all hung out for a bit. Arielle went to the
playground and made mud plates (platos) and cups (baso) with the kiddos.Eventually
Arielle came back to the room then I went to the park. I had three girls on the
teeter totter, it is not up to American safety codes, and was using my arms to
move them up and down. They loved it but if one lost their balance they would
kick the one behind who then kicked the one behind.
Arielle
and I both then went and found the quince girl and watched her try on a couple
of dresses. Then the decision was made, she will wear the purple dress. Once
this was decided Arielle and I and a group of girls started cutting strips of
cloth for the background. Now as we were cutting and tying them on Arielle and
I noted that for all the fuse about it matching the dress most the fabric was
green not purple. We finished this a little before lunch, we set a new late for
lunch 3 pm!
After
Lunch Arielle tried to steal Humana caramel sucker, there was no chili on it.
Humana kept having her do certain licking or nibbling motions and then would
hold it up for her to lick. It was hilarious! (Okay in the interest of full
discloser I might have also been trying to eat the sucker.)
There was
a lot of female drama type stuff going on and being unable to help since we don’t
speak the language we stayed out of the way most the afternoon. Arielle kept
saying “you want to go climb a tree?” The funny thing is we climbed almost
everything but the tree. The neighborhood boys (8-10 years old) are taken with
Arielle, but she is going to write more about that. We ended up playing with
the boys most the afternoon.
We went
to check in and see if we were back to Quince stuff and we discovered that the
purple fabric had been forgotten that’s why it was so green. So we helped cut
the purple fabric and then added that plus some purple lace. We also took some
of the green out so it actually does start to match the dress now. While
cutting the fabric I forgot I had a pair of scissor in my right hand and I was
straightening the fabric and cut myself.
This is not a big deal I cut myself
fairly often but I’m going somewhere with it. Later I was scratching a bug bite
on my leg and accidentally scratched a scab off, which led to my leg bleeding.
The boys were concerned, and Arielle wanted the blood for their frog situation.
Later we were taking turns shooting on the goal and I was the current keeper
and when I blocked the ball I got a perfect imprint from the futball on my
inner knee. The kids were impressed with this, I’m not sure which part though
that they could kick that hard or that it showed up. Later I was helping with
dinner, I was dishing the boiling liquid beans into bowls and then handing them
to the guy behind me who was then putting them on the counter. Well the beans
were so hot the bowl started to melt which led to him dropping it and the three
of us, there was another lady their helping with another aspect, all getting
splattered with boiling beans. The beans keep attacking, in multiple ways! Oh
and then my inner thighs are bruised from climbing the metal pole. All in all
it was a rough day on my body, but not as bad as it was for the frog… (Arielle
take it away)
Hola everyone! The story of the
frog actually began a couple days ago. After that storm we had the boys
discovered a HUGE frog and decided it would be great fun to show it to me. Most
of you know I HATE all things creepy and crawly, including frogs. But I also
realized that these were boys and if I showed fear I would be constantly
getting stuff thrown on me the rest of the time we’re here. So, I showed proper
awe at their discovery and even attempted “catching” it, sadly I’m a slow Americana
and never had the joy of touching it.;^) Bringing us to today. When I was
trying to stay out of the way of all the before mentioned drama going on, I noticed
a crowd gathering around the ditch. The obvious next step was to investigate. Unfortunately,
the frog didn’t make it through the storm…or the boys discovering it…either way
it was dead! And just like that my whole afternoon was booked as we (the boys
and me) decided it needed to be buried. First, we were gonna bury it right next
to the cement slab, but decided that wasn’t good enough...mostly because the
ground is really hard right there. Then we saw the perfect spot, next to the
water tank. It took us 20-30 minutes to do a proper ceremony and burial. I thought
it was a really nice spot, but again the boys decided it wasn’t good enough for
our beloved frog (named sapo) so we unburied it. They decided it would be the
BEST spot if we buried it under a little bush growing by the tree. That took us
40 minutes to properly rebury the poor thing; it was looking slightly gross at
this point. Due to the female drama that had suddenly followed us outside,
Krista and I proceeded to climb the playground, followed by the wall and eating
salsa covered popcorn. While we we’re enjoying our popcorn and taking pictures,
one of the boys, Martin..i think…started walking towards us calling for me with
a huge smile on his face and something behind his back…first thought that ran
through my mind was “oh no! they’ve discovered my fear and are gonna throw
something on me!” instead he showed me (with such pride) a squashed “chameleon.”
It took us 10 minutes of making random
noises to communicate properly how he died. It went something like this, car
driving, SCRREEECCCHHH, SPLAT! We then had to bury the chameleon, unbury both
the frog and chameleon and rebury them together. Thus, ends the story of the
frog. The plus side to all of this is that I now have at least three little
protectors who make sure I get my fair share of food and turns at random
games;)
So one might where I was at during
all this burial sadness? Well first I had been apart of the crowd before
Arielle showed up and showed proper sadness for the frog. But as they were leaving
to bury the poor unfortunate Sapo two of the girls asked me to do their hair.
Well these two normally tell us exactly what they want and Arielle obliges. But
I’m not as obliging, so I kept telling them no and did my own thing. You should
have seen their faces as I was working on their hair! It was a mixture of
horror and awe. Eventually the awe won out and they asked us to do it that way
for the Quince.
The chicken and chics you can see when you climb the wall (It's a whole new world!)
Will you leave me alone so I can eat my popcorn!
Christopher and his guitar
Chicken Fight!
We had a hard time convincing everyone that we were really going to bed so we locked the door and then waited for it to be quite to sneak to the bathroom and get ready for bed :-)
7 comments:
Great post
Love this....so much happening....really think Arielle did all that just to make sure she can get extra popcorn and salsa from the boys. LOL
Love it:) Looks like you are endearing yourselves:) Loved the girls' hair....great job, Krista. And Arielle....now that's loving courageously;p
I bet that's it! Or she just wants extra chili watermelon ;-)
Fun to say the least. Good job of posting it in such an interesting way. You 2 remind me of me......... always climbing, playing rough and having fun. love/prayers - G'ma t.
Sounds like some great adventures! Thanks for capturing them with photos...they're fantastic! The teeter-totter is priceless :)
The teeter totter always makes me laugh, it would so not be at a school or park in America
Post a Comment