Wednesday, July 06, 2011

June 24th ~ Friday

So we started the day with our staff meeting, breakfast, and then word study with our youth. It was a somewhat disappointing word study since we were having a really hard time getting the girls to share and open up but those is life.

For elective time today instead of adventure world dividing into our four different options we all went to a cove further down the coast. There were some ruins that were really awesome! And a jumping rock, about 35 ft, I did it once because some of my girls wanted to do it with me. But they all backed out on me :-)

A couple of us hiked around the ruins a little bit and it really was awesome. You can talk about how young America is compared to everywhere else. But there is actually something that makes it real when you are wondering around ruins that are older than our county and yet they are not considered anything special.

We then had siesta, still one of my favorite, and then free time. I worked on some camp related paper things, getting some stuff for bonkers, and preparing something to share with our young ladies. I then went and had a nice chat with one of my girls that was leaving in the morning.

After free time all the staff went to prepare for bonkers. So just in case I am not the only person that has not heard of bonkers let me explain. There are four different groups of people participating in this game. The first group is the bonkers they are painted head to toe and have a tub sock with flour. There job is to go around and hit the campers (2 group) with the socks. One the campers are hit they have to stand still and yell for a medic, the third group, the medics go and make the campers do something crazy and then heal them so they can continue to run and try to find the ten hidden stations. The ten station workers are the fourth group. They have some task that the campers must complete. Everyone ends up with paint or marker all over them as part of the task of keeping track of everything.

Well as you might be able to guess I was a bonker ;-) I had paint everywhere and it was funny. But as I was running around hitting kids I miss stepped on a rock and hurt my ankle. It was funny because one of the medics came and helped me :-) I walked around and bonked kids for a while and then they had me and one of the medics switch. So one of the medics, red cross painted on the face, was going around hitting kids and I was healing them. Some of the kids reactions were hilarious! Once the game was done they sent all of us bonkers to the ocean to get cleaned up.

We finished the evening with a twilight service which was really good. We then had are cabin meeting, where we gave the girls a note with part of mom's about sea glass and a piece of sea glass. We also read them all of mom's blog. By this time my ankle was killing me even though I had wrapped it, iced it, and elevated it. So I went to bed and slept. There was a official "sneak out" planned for that night at midnight. But the other two let me sleep and they went and supervised the sneak out.

1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah - bonkers. Now I understand THOSE pictures in the album you shared on FB. LOL