Wednesday, July 06, 2011

July 1st~ Friday

So today is the last day of camp and we had a long list of things at our staff meeting to go over. Among them is the high school party that somehow everyone knows about but is never official planned or announced. Well since it always happens we pit it in the schedule and brought a few snacks for it. As a part of this party there is always a talent show and a bunch of the youth have been working hard to get ready. We also discussed the traditional "sneak out" which the youth plan and do even though they are not suppose to. They normal sneak out and go to the beach around one, a little after the party is over, and stay the night on the beach and watch the sunrise. Well last year there was a lot of stupidity involved in the sneak outs so to try and help eliminate this they planned last weeks sneak out at midnight and then a sunrise sneak out Saturday morning from 4-6 for the 11-12 graders. At the meeting we were told that we could use our own discretion about if we would allow the 9-10 graders to participate. We did not want to but throughout the course of the day we decided to let the, as long as they were fully packed before hand. Oh and the other thing was the Turkish youth fΓΌtball game which was moved to Friday because we had Bonkers on Thursday. Also we needed to tear down equipment and get it ready to be packed out in the morning.

Anyways after this info filled meeting we had our normal morning routine. Oh wait I forgot something else about the meeting. On Monday one of the sailors sunk their sailboat, because of the strong wind we had been having all week we had been unable to go find and retrieve the boat. Also the marker had been blown away. So a group of us agreed to go out and try and find and retrieve the missing boat.

Okay so instead of going to the Olympus jumping rock, same place as last Friday, I set out with six other people in the zodiac, blow up motor boat, to try and find the sailboat. When we anchored James said that he believed from different landmarks that it should be within 50 meters of where we were. Then as he was saying this a sea turtle came up and I got to see a turtle!

The water was so blue and deep, 25-35 feet that I was normally not sure if I was seeing the bottom or not. Every now and then you would catch a speck of something white and dive down to try and see if it was the boat. So this was slow progress, but eventually Max spotted the boat. When wee got over to where he was the boat was as plain as day! :-) we did not need to have been going so methodical.... James dove down to the boat, it was between 20 - 30 feet and tied a rope to the boat. He then lifted from the zodiac while others pushed from below when it got in range. Then we a bunch of lifting and pushing we got the sail boat laid across the zodiac. But there was then no room for us swimmers in the zodiac so we swam back, and apparently I don't swim a very straight line. I am going to blame my ankle and say because it was hurting I was not kicking as hard with that leg and that is why ;-)

Anyways next came lunch and siesta and free time, which was full of hanging out with different kids. I did a lot of sitting during free time to stay off my ankle which really was hurting. The kids all headed to watch, play, or cheer at the game. Those that did not do one of these options was to be packing. While all this was happening some of us worked on sorting and storing equipment and others worked on bringing the kayaks and sail boats up from the beach.

This was all followed by dinner, then a show from the drama, improv, and guitar electives. Then a normal service followed by a slide show of camp. All of this went later than expected so as soon as it finished all of my girls scattered to get ready for the party.

The party was fun and kinda crazy... Ya all know how high school parties are. The talent show was also good and for the most part everyone that got up had talent.

We sent everyone to to there rooms at midnight and as Cassie, Ruthie, and I were heading to are room, Max told us there was a sneak out planned for 12:30. He wanted us to stay up but we all said no and if he saw our girls to send them back until there bags were packed. Well about ten minutes later we got a knock on our door and Renata said that they needed one of us to go and spend the night at the beach as the awake female councilor. I ended up doing this because I was the most awake person, i did not have the best attitude about this, ya all know how much I just love staying up all night (sarcasm). Anyways it was kind of funny because the youth all started to sneak out of their cabins and then run into us councilors who took them back to their cabin to inspect their bags. Once we verified that they were packed and ready to leave we then escorted them to the beach. There were four or five of the guy councilors and myself. Wants I adjusted my attitude it became a almost enjoyable. I had a few good conversations with some of the youth. Probably my favorite part was when Manny used my iPad to read Winnie the Pooh at one point there was about 15 youth all curled up around on the sand listening. I was relieved at 5ish and went and got about a half hour of sleep.

No comments: