Another Sunday has rolled around. I don’t think I can fully express how amazing it is to meet in Old City. The place is full of so much history and is very special.
Tressa and I had Sunday school today with the little children. As always kids are a joy to work with. One of the special challenges with leading this group was that two of the kids did not speak English. One of the boys translated into Turkish for the girl and the girl translated into Russian for her brother. I don’t know how much of the story they actually got, but all seemed to enjoy the game and craft. We finished with extra time so we played games with the kids. We lost our translator … but you don’t need to speak the same language to build a relationship. By the end of the time I would say we were friends, though the only words we could exchange was names.
After the service related festivities wrapped up we went home and had dinner. Dinner was about five different types of salads. Then, Talya, her friend, Tressa, Christine, and I went down to the real swimming hole. We had a lot of fun! Have I mentioned how much I love the water? There is a good jumping rock that is a lot of fun.
We finished the day with an amazing waffle dinner and an episode of Alias.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like a fun challenge to teach with so many different languages around. I loved your comment about not needing to speak the language to build relationships. So true.
Way to go Krista!! there is always a way to connect. So glad you have wonderful people around you. Bet the water also helps with the heat. The Meditranian........must be so beautiful. l/p -
G'Ma T.
Post a Comment