Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 15th


So today was the day! The beginning of Olive Grove. We started off the day with some yummy pancakes made by Christine and then finished the last packing up of our room and packing for Olive Grove. James dropped Christine and I off at La Paloma, the small inn in old town where people were staying, where we were to act as their guides.

After meeting everyone we headed to the ATM and then the exchange office. We still had some time before lunch and loading up, .so we went to the local Mosque where visitors are allowed.

We all had to take our shoes off and the  girls all had to wear head scarves. Those ladies not wearing a long skirt were given a skirt to wear. It was rather pretty inside, no statues. But plaques with the name's of God in Arabic, I think they were names. There was this narrow stair case leading to the top on the side of the stage area, that none of us were sure what it was for. They also had a lineage chart up that had Abraham and Mohamed. It was interesting to see. There is something awe inspiring to enter anyone’s place of worship, in some cases sadder than others... I would like to go back sometime with someone who could explain everything we were seeing.

After that we went to Hadrian's gate. I am waiting till I have pictures to tell you about this gate, but it is really amazing and old. We  spilt up and Christine took people to Starbucks and I took people to look around Old Town some more. We had a good time and did not get lost. It was fun to act as the guide for a change, I also realized how much I had learned. Although it was funny before we split ways because Christine was remembering the route by clothing on display and I was remembering by the old buildings...

I had my first Ayran at lunch. This is a very common drink here that is like runny Turkish yogurt, similar to plain organic yogurt with a little sour cream, with salt. It is suppose to be really good at refreshing you if you are dehydrated.

Next we all CROWDED into the van. After a little drive we arrived. Next followed the normal settling in and meeting everyone and information sessions. One thing that was fun was we did the human knot. We divided guys and girls but we had way more girls than guys so the girls then divided in half again. Both girls groups finished within two minutes and it took the guys almost a half hour and in the end they cheated to get done...

After a time of worship and sharing we walked down to the beach to see the full moon. There was a pesky cloud in the way. I learned later that we had been watching an eclipse :-)

No comments: