Friday, May 27, 2011

May 27th

I started out the day thinking I had until 2:15 p.m. before I had to be anywhere. I took care of some chores, started my laundry, read some Proverbs and letter from Paul, and then sat down to update the blog. I received a phone call shortly later saying I was going to be picked up in 15 minutes to go see the village. We are going to be having an English speaking camp in one of the villages in this area. I raced to hang my laundry up to dry and get shoes. I made it with a few minutes to spare. I am a little more time oriented than the rest of this society.

First we went to the airport and picked Gloria up. She is 72 and has been here for the last 12 years. We went to her place in the village and had a pleasant talk about her life and work. Nancy was also with us. She is visiting this lovely country for a few weeks. She has worked abroad for the last 30 odd years. We went to “Gloria’s” restaurant for lunch, it is not actually her place but she has been eating there ever since she first arrived. It was beautiful, right at the base of a small waterfall. Our table hung over the river and you could feel the mist from the water. It was great food.

I thought we had our first Turkish lesson today. We plan to take some lessons and learn at least some basic Turkish while here, but it was cancelled. We ran an errand for camp and then were shown around the old city. We saw many Roman and Ottoman walls and towers and unique shops. I will write more about this on a later date.

I then went home and Talya and I decided to make cookies. It would have been too easy to do this the normal way. So I was blindfolded and her hands were tied behind her back, we switched half way through. It was a lot of fun and all things considered, we did not make much of a mess. Also the cookies were superb!

We ended the evening with some card games and a movie.

3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

It sounds like you and Talya are having a blast. I'm sure it was much more fun to make cookies as a team building exercise. LOL

Turkey sounds beautiful...

Anonymous said...

I havw been thinking about making cookies...in a more conventional way..... You are one odd cookie, krista....glad you guys are bonding so well

Bre

Krista said...

Oh it was so much more fun! I would highly recommend it...Christine gets in on the 3rd and Renata is leaving town again for a few days. So Talya and I are already coming up with new ways of making cookies with the three of us.