So this week has been amazing... let me give you the highlights.
Sunday: The Dorms opened and we had our first meeting with the school. After our meeting which were generic welcome to college type meetings there was a BBQ. I ate at the BBQ and then went to work.
Monday: We had lots of meeting that were just explaining how things work and such. I enjoyed getting to know different people and learn about them. The church in Hawaii took an offering to raise money to give laptops to ebc incoming students. The offering was between $80,000-$92,000. So ALL incoming students that wanted one received a free netbook. Both Bre and received one. I am so blessed it has a working battery, is light, and the wireless works on it. That evening they had different gathering for people. Bre and I are apart of the off campus grouping so we went with that group. Well it really was not much of a group it was Bre and I Mr. and Mrs. B (they know you two) there daughter and one other gentleman from ebc. After this I went to work.
Tuesday: We had more meetings and finished are academic placement testing (started them on Monday). I was told in a meeting on Monday that only 20% of high school students come into college ready for college level math (nation wide stat). They also said that only 75% of incoming students are ready for college English. So what they new is they have you take a bunch of test to determine if you are ready for college level stuff and if your not they put you in intermediate classes that you have to pay for but don't get college credit. I thought that for sure I was going to be placed in the lowest possible English classes. I used to be really good at math but since I have not had to use any of the mathematical formulas in over 4 years I was worried about how I was going to do. After taking the math test I figured I had probably placed in the highest intermediate class but I was hoping for the college level. They also do a biblical knowledge test. They have you take it when you start EBC and when you graduate to see how much we are learning. That evening I went and met my academic adviser at her house. Then I went to work.
Wednesday: was registration day. I was finally allowed to register for classes and get the total for this term. I was one of the first to complete the process. I got every class that I wanted. When I went to pay for my first term I had an amazing shock. Over the summer I was quoted about $2400 a term. so I was expecting a little under that because I knew they had not factored in the scholarship that the central region was giving us. But what I had forgotten was all the money that I had sent in to them before to cover fees. All that money and in some cases I had sent more than was required (just because I could) was taken off of my first term. So I was expecting to owe about $2350 and instead I owed $1319. Talk about an amazing shock because of this I definitely have enough for the second term in saving and am able to start saving for the third term. Oh and I placed in college level math AND English (I really don't know how I pulled the English off). I then went to the book store and started stopping all upper class men and asking if they wanted to sell used books. By doing this I was able to buy all but 4 books used and half price. So my books only came to around $100 instead of the 2 or 3 hundred I thought they would come to. After all this I chilled for the rest of the day. Over the summer I had really wanted to start taking Hip Hop lessons but I had decided that it was not practical because of the cost. Well there is a group of students from Hawaii that are teaching different types of dance (hip hop, Singh, and hula) to EBC students for free on Wed nights (to be used in evangelism and such things). I went to the class on Wednesday night and it was really enjoyable. After all of this I went to work.
Thursday: I had my first class ever with a professor and it was biblical leadership and I really enjoyed it. I came home and started my homework for the class. Esther and her baby Josiah drove over with her dad to see us why her dad had a meeting. So I visited with Esther, Bre, Rachel and baby Josiah for an hour or so and then they headed back to WA. I finished my homework and then fell asleep (I had been out later than normal with work because of the night activities and then we had devo in the morning). I woke up talked to Bre for a little bit and headed to work.
Friday: I started the day with a public speaking classes. I then went to Biology. After Biology I had a little bit of free time between classes so I started my public speaking homework. I then went to my English class which I love the teacher. I am sure this will be my most trying class though. After that I had lunch and did some more homework. I then headed to my last class which is a Western Civ class. I think I am going to enjoy all of my classes. I went and tried out for the school play. In one of the meetings they had said they wanted everyone to try out so I thought that everyone was going to try out. But I was wrong there was not all that many people there. They are thinking of turning the play into a musical (AAAARRRRGGGG). I have not decided about participating in this yet. I then finished most of my homework and went and watch a move at the chapel. I then came home and went to bed.
Saturday: The ASB had arranged a trip to the coast and since my homework was pretty much done I went ahead and went. I was the only that decided to play in the water but I enjoyed myself and i was less cold then everyone else. I think it had to do with after you are in freezing water for a little bit normal temperatures don't seem all that bad. I am now at home by myself and I did a little more homework just because I had time and I figured it is better to get ahead.
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Krista
You are doing great things there. It does take a little bit to get your feet under you, but you and Bre are handling the transition just fine -I knew you would. :)
Love you
Dad
PS You are going to love the "other" Pacific coast line.
WOW - what a week!!!
GREAT to hear about the math and english.
I'm thrilled about your amazing shock....how many hours are you taking this semester?
Gotta run dad is done an we're at the library. LOL
congrats with the math/English! That is pretty sweet!
Did you dunk your head under the water?
16 hours and yes I went all the way in and went swimming.
Post a Comment