Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Week Five Highlights

Week 5 Highlights
 
By Kent Glazier
Sunday was an exciting day here at the orphanage! In addition to Krista, myself, and Northwest Christian School, representatives from two other supporting organizations in the U.S. arrived for a special presentation highlighting the work that takes place here. The community was invited, an extravagant breakfast prepared, some of the children presented cultural dances, tours were given, pictures taken, and I was asked to share a few words about Kid’s Kingdom.
I prepared remarks regarding three attributes that I think capture the nature of the service here: Love, Collaboration, and Giving. It was a great day, but sad at the same time, as we said goodbye to our new friends from NCS. The kids really loved having them here!
Monday was a day of rest for the ladies as they had started about 4 o’clock Sunday morning working in the kitchen and spent the better part of the day cooking, cleaning, and serving. Krista was not feeling well and so was able to get some needed rest. I went with a couple of the guys to Benjamin Hill to work on projects there. I ended up being turned loose on laying tile in the sanctuary which I think went ok considering I had never done it before!
As the rest of the week went on we settled back into our typical routine. I don’t know if we’ve mentioned it but for Krista that means waking up a few hours before the rest of us to work on homework. Her ability to do both the Master’s program and the mission work has been impressive. She’s also been showering the kids daily and working hard to combat head lice in the girls’ hair. On Wednesday she made chicken pot pie and salad for everyone here with a little ‘help’ from the kids and me. Having kids in the kitchen adds some chaos but they LOVE being part of the meal prep process!
Activities with the youth group filled the weekend. We’ve been leading a youth Bible Study on Friday nights for high school students and young adults, working through the 12th chapter of Romans and focusing on how to avoid being conformed to the pattern of this world as well as the place we each have in the body of Christ. It’s been enjoyable and, I pray, fruitful. We typically have 10-15 young people and they’re a lot of fun to hang out with! After our study the ladies went across the street for a tea party to celebrate Meche’s birthday (Meche grew up here at Kid’s Kingdom and now serves as a volunteer) and the guys stuck around the orphanage for a great game of soccer!
Saturday started with a sunrise hike. We were set to head out from the orphanage at 5 a.m. which I took every opportunity to bemoan in the days leading up, but I was a good sport that morning. We ended up leaving around 5:30 (pretty impressive for teenagers!) but after a few errands and a bit of a drive we fairly well missed the sunrise. It was a great morning hike at any rate with a view that didn’t disappoint!
Krista led a devotional at the top and we enjoyed sandwiches and tacos. By the time we made it back down some of the other adults had set up a surprise birthday party for Ruben sr. who’s the son of the directors, and a good friend. Of course we had more food, and by the end we were all ready for a good nap!
As always, thank you for your prayers, and stay posted for more highlights :)

1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

It sounds like your weeks have been full - but meaningful and productive.