We started our second week with a trip to Phoenix to drop
off Diane at the airport. It was a real blessing having her with us for the
first week, but she was needed back in Oregon. After dropping her off, Kent’s
cousins hosted us at a Superbowl party. They were very welcoming and it was an
enjoyable party. I, Krista, had some stuff for the reserves that I needed to
accomplish before returning to Mexico, so we stayed the night in Phoenix.
Monday morning proved to be a difficult morning for me. The
website I needed to utilize was not working properly and I couldn’t accomplish
everything I needed to get done. More than that though, I received a phone call
that my grandmother had died during the night. Grandma Mary’s health had been
declining, but I thought we still had a couple of years. Grandma was a spunky
lady and full of life. With a plethora of amazing stories and had lived a full and
adventurous life. Grandma’s true loves were Jesus and Earl, her husband, now
she is united with both and I am sure she is immensely happy.
We took our time in
returning to Mexico, allowing me time to process before the barrage of ninos and
hoping to hear back about the website issues I was having. We made a Wal-Mart
run and picked up a few supplies. The first Sunday we were in Mexico I had
broken my glasses, so we stopped at the optometrist center in Wal-Mart to see
if they could fix my glasses. Unfortunately, they couldn’t, however they had a
pair of frames that would fit my lenses so I have glasses again. We ate at In
N’ Out Burger and then headed to the border.
When we arrived at the border it was backed up. Normally
there is a lane for semi’s, they all have to be checked, and a lane for cars.
The semi truck lane was closed which was causing the issues. Well as we were
sitting there we noticed that the cars in front and behind us were
driving across the median and moving up the lane. Deciding there must be
another lane open for cars further up we followed suite, (when in Rome right?).
Well when you cross the median you are now driving into the traffic leaving
Mexico. Upon getting further up we discovered that the cars were just going
round and forcing their way back into the main line in front of everyone else.
Because of barriers we couldn’t re-cross back into the line before the front.
The border agents just watched and didn’t seem to care that everyone was
driving up traffic and then cutting everyone else off. It was a slightly
alarming adventure but we saved a lot of time ;-)
We decided to snap a picture during our abnormal border crossing in case it went wrong ;-)
The rest of the week was spent settling into a routine and
preparing for birthday parties. I start the day with homework and then we go
eat breakfast followed by class with the ninos.
Notice Judith (pronounced yulEt) is doing my homework while I play with blocks...
Friday was Jesus' 19th birthday. Jesus started
living here as a young child and has become part of the family. We had a small
party with carne asada, cake, friends, and gifts. This was a perfect party for
him. He will finish school this year. while he is finishing his school he is
also working night shifts. It will be exciting to see where God leads him.
Saturday was Ruben jr. and Lilia’s birthdays. Lilia and
Arturo are the founders and driving force behind this ministry. Ruben jr. is
there grandson, he was turning six. Lilia didn’t want a party, claiming her
grandson was the perfect gift. Ruben’s party was Lego themed and the people
here know how to party! The decorations were elaborate, there was a plethora of
food, bounce houses, and a Lego piñata bigger than Ruben. All the neighborhood
kids and families showed up and it was a happening place. 

I also preached Wednesday night (almost forgot but I saw the picture)
One more exciting thing for us. Kent fixed the hot water issue! The propane line was kinked so the hot water heater wasn't getting propane.









No comments:
Post a Comment